人教版必修一Unit 4 Earthquakes
核心单词 1. earthquake n. 地震→quake n. 地震
2. burst vi. (burst, burst) 爆裂；爆发n. 突然破裂；爆发
3. million n. 百万→millionaire n. 百万富翁
4. event n. 事件；大事
5. nation n. 民族；国家；国民→national adj. 民族的
6. dirt n. 污垢；泥土→dirty adj. 脏的
7. ruin n. 废墟；毁灭vt. 毁灭；使破产
8. suffering n. 苦难；痛苦→suffer v. 遭受，受苦
9. extreme adj. 极度的→extremely adv. 极其，非常
10. injure vt. 损害；伤害→injured adj. 受伤的
11. destroy vt. 破坏；毁坏；消灭
12. useless adj. 无用的；无效的；无益的→useful adj. 有用的
13. shock vt. & vi. （使）震惊；震动n. 休克；打击；震惊
14. rescue n. & vt. 援救；营救
15. trap vt. 使陷入困境n. 陷阱；困境
16. electricity n. 电；电流；电学→electric adj.用电的 →electrical adj. 发电的
17. disaster n. 灾难；灾祸
18. bury vt. 埋葬；掩埋；隐藏
19. mine n. 矿；矿山；矿井→miner n. 矿工
20. shelter n. 掩蔽；掩蔽处；避身处
21. reporter n. 记者→report v. 报道
22. damage n. & vt. 损失；损害
23. frighten vt. 使惊吓；吓唬→frightened adj. 受惊的；受恐吓的→frightening adj. 令人恐惧的
24. congratulation n. 祝贺；（复数）贺词→congratulate v. 祝贺
25. judge n. 裁判员；法官vt. 断定；判断；判决
26. sincerely adv. 真诚地；真挚地→sincere adj. 真诚的
常考短语 1. right away 立刻；马上
2. as if 仿佛；好像
3. at an end 结束；终结
4. in ruins 严重受损；破败不堪
5. dig out 掘出；发现
6. a (great) number of 许多；大量的7. at an end 结束
8. be swept up into 卷入
9. be scared to death 吓得要死
10. pull off 拉下
经典佳句 1. What do you think may happen before an earthquake?
发生地震前你认为会发生什么事？2. In the farmyards, the chickens and even the pigs were too nervous to eat.
农场里的鸡和猪太恐慌而不吃东西。3. It seemed as if the world was at an end!
4. Workers built shelters for survivors whose homes had been destroyed.
课文回顾 A terrible earthquake hit the city of Tangshan on July 28, 1976, in which thousands of people died and many ___1___(injure). Many houses fell down and sand filled the wells instead ___2___ water. People were ___3___(great) shocked. All the electricity in the city was cut off and people began to wonder how long the disaster ___4____(will) last. The whole city was completely ___5____(destroy) and the world seemed at its end.
The people of Tangshan didn’t lose hope ___6____ 150,000 soldiers were sent to help the rescue workers. The soldiers tried ___7____(they) best to dig out those who were trapped. They also built shelters for the survivors. Fresh water was taken to the city by every means. Slowly, the city began to come back ___8____ life.
It was said that before the quake, strange things were happening in the countryside. The water in the village ___9____(well) rose and fell. Fish jumped out of the ponds. Strange noise were heard in the sky, but people ___10____(think) little of them.
答案：1. were injured 2. of 3. greatly 4. would 5. destroyed 6. because 7. their 8. to 9. wells 10. thought
1. burst vi.(burst, burst)爆裂；爆发 n. 突然破裂；爆发
burst into tears/laughter/flames 突然大哭/大笑/燃烧
burst into (a room) 闯进(房间)
burst in 打断
burst out doing sth. 突然开始做某事
burst forth 突然出现；突然爆发出；突然喊出
a burst of laughter一阵笑声
He ____________ on our conversation.
There was ______________ in the next room.
(3) Scarcely had she heard the sad story when _______________.
= Scarcely had she heard the sad story when _______________.
2. injure vt. 损害；伤害
injury n. 损伤；伤害
(1) What you said ________ him deeply.
(2) The soldier received a ___________ in the leg.
(3) The child was badly ____________ in the accident.
(4) The sunlight will ________ your skin.
(5) Last summer, a hailstorm______________ the ten square kilometres of good land.
3. shock vt.& vi.(使)震惊；震动 n. 休克；打击；震惊
be shocked to do sth. 做某事感到震惊
be shocked at/by (doing) sth. 因(做)某事而感到震惊
in (a state of) shock 处于休克状态
give sb. a shock 使某人大吃一惊
She ____________________ after the accident.
I ____________________ his wickedness.
He _______________ but he soon regained his composure.
There was something wrong with the switch and I _______________.
4. rescue n. & vt. 援救；营救
in a rescue 在营救行动中
come to sb.’s rescue/the rescue of sb.给予某人援助
rescue services/workers 救援工作/人员
rescue sb./sth. from sb./sth. 从……营救……
____________________ rushed to the site of the plane crash.
He ________________________ the burning building.
He dived off the bridge and came to ______________ the drowning child.
The lifeboat _________________ and took them to the larger ship.
The earthquake caused ________________ property estimated at about $6 million.
I felt as if my heart would ________ with joy.
Thousands of soldiers were sent there to rescue those ________________.
The rain __________________.
If the tree falls that way, it will ________________________________________________.
In the railway accident 300 people ______________________.
Had Jim not dived in to ________________， the boy would have drowned.
Kate ________________________ hear of his sudden death.
1. right away立刻；马上
in no time
注意 right now既可表示“立刻；马上”，也可表示“现在”。
He didn’t answer my question ________________.
I’ll return the book _____________.
The doctor is busy _________________.
_______________ he had finished tea, he rose with alacrity to go out.
2. at an end (of) 结束；终结
at the end of 在……末尾；在……结束时
by the end of 到……结束时；到……末尾时
come/draw to an end 结束；完结
in the end 最后；终于
make an end of sth.＝put an end to sth.结束或终结某事物
without end 永远的；没有完结的
end in (doing) sth. 以(做)某事结束或告终
end to end 头并头，尾并尾；首尾衔接
end up 结束；完事
end with 以……结束
The young singer was pleasantly surprised when waves of cheering broke over her ___________________ her first performance.
Let’s ________________ this foolish quarrel.
He will ____________ being punished.
You may suffer at first, but you will gain _______________.
The war was finally ________________.
3. in ruins 严重受损；破败不堪；毁灭
come/get to ruin毁灭；落空
bring sth. to ruin使毁灭；使落空
fall into ruin 成为废墟；破败
get ruined 毁坏
My new shoes ________________ in the mud.
The big building lies ______________ after that fire.
What has ____________________________？
4. a (great) number of 许多；大量的
辨析 a (great) number of/the number of
(1)a (great) number of意为“许多；大量的”，后面常跟复数可数名词，谓语动词用复数形式。
(2)the number of意为“……的数目”，后面也跟复数可数名词，但其谓语动词用单数。
修饰可数名词 a large/great/good number of，a good/great many，quite a few，dozens of， scores of，many a+单数可数名词
修饰不可数名词 a good/great deal of，a large amount of，quite a little
修饰可数或不可数名词 a lot of，lots of，a large quantity of，large quantities of，plenty of
(1) The number of teachers present at the meeting ________ 200.
(2) A number of teachers ________ present at the meeting.
________________ have been absent some time during the term.
_______________ in our school has grown from 1,000 to more than 1,500.
Babies often _____________ when they learn to walk.
I’m from China and I ________________ my motherland.
The air ____________________ is fresh, which is good for our health.
The famous anti-feudal and anti-imperialist May Fourth Movement ______________ in Beijing in 1919.
He is a person who ____________________ his own interest.
Hearing the news, the girl rushed to the school ________________.
The earthquake left the whole town ________________.
____________________ people came to the meeting from all over the country.
原句1 All hope was not lost.并不是所有的希望都破灭了。
表示“全体”意义的代词、副词或形容词如all, both, every, everybody, always等和否定副词not连用时表示部分否定，意为“并非……都……”。
注意 no, none, neither, nobody, nothing等词表示完全否定，意为“……都不……”。
All birds ________________.
________________ be laughed at.
(3) All my friends do not study well.
=______________my friends study well.
原句2 Mice ran out of the fields looking for places to hide.老鼠跑出田地，寻找地方躲藏。
looking for places to hide为现在分词短语作伴随状语.
He said it angrily, ________________ the notice on the wall.
All night long he lay awake, ________________ the problem.
He sat in the armchair, ___________________.
The dog entered the room, ___________________.
原句3 It seemed as if the world was at an end. 世界似乎到了末日!
as if =as though仿佛；好像，既可以引导让步状语从句也可以引导表语从句。当说话者认为句子所述的是不真实的或极少有可能发生或存在的情况时，从句虚拟语气动词时态的形式如下: 从句表示与现在事实相反,谓语动词用一般过去时；从句表示与过去事实相反,谓语动词用"had+过去分词"；从句表示与将来事实可能相反,谓语动词用"would / could / might+动词原形"。
注意：如果as if 引导的从句中的主语和主句的主语相同，且含有be动词，可省略主语和be动词,这样as if后就只剩下名词、不定式、形容词(短语)、介词短语或分词。
Clouds are gathering in the sky. It looks _________________.
The Building lurched violently and shook as if ????????____________________.
The girl listened as if ___________________ a stone.
When a pencil is partly put into a glass of water, it looks ______________.
原句4 Thousands of families were killed and many children were left without parents.
were left without parents是被动结构，without parents是介词短语，在句中作主语的补语，表示主语的状态。此处使用的是“leave sth./sb. +宾语补足语”结构，可作宾语补足语的词有分词、不定式、介词短语、形容词和副词等。
Mary ___________ and began to mount the stairs.
The boy _____________ and when he came back he was still asleep.
I'm sorry I've _____________________________.
On May 12, 2008, a strong earthquake shook my hometown, Wenchuan in Sichuan Province. At 2：28 p. m., we suddenly felt everything began to shake fiercely and the earth rose and fell sharply. (1)________________________ (在可怕的几秒钟内), the city of Wenchuan (2)________________ (成为一片废墟). The supply of water and electricity (3)________________ (中断). (4)____________________ (大量的) people were injured or killed and the number of people who were killed reached more than 60,000.(5)____________________ (数以万计的) children were left without parents. It seemed that the world was (6)________________ (到了尽头). But all the hope was not lost. The government called in the army and organized a lot of people to (7)____________________ (营救被困者). They sent (8)________________ (伤者) to hospitals and (9)____________ (埋葬) the dead. Nowadays, we are (10)____________________ (全力以赴) and overcoming all kinds of difficulties to rebuild our home.
1. (1) burst in (2) a burst of laughter (3) she burst out crying; she burst into tears
2. (1) hurt (2) wound (3)injured (4)harm
3. (1) is still in shock (2) was shocked at/by (3) was obviously very shocked (4) got a shock
4. (1) Rescue workers (2) rescued three children from
(3) the rescue of (4) rescued a dozen people
1．damage to 2.burst 3. trapped in the building
4．has ruined my new dress 5.destroy the house
6．were injured 7.rescue him
8．was deeply shocked to
1. right away/right now/at once/in no time/immediately (2) right away (3) right now (4) Immediately
2. (1) at the end of (2) make an end of/put an end to
(3) end in (4) in the end (5) at an end
3. (1) got ruined (2) in ruins (3) brought his hope to ruin
4. (1)is/was (2)are/were (3) A number of boys (4) The number of students
1. fall down 2. am proud of/take pride in
3. in the open air 4. broke out 5. thinks little of
6. right away 7. in ruins 8. A (great) number of
1. (1)can not fly (2) Nobody likes to (3) Not all
2. (1)pointing at (2) thinking of (3) reading a newspaper (4) following his master
3. (1) as if it is going to rain (2) it were in an earthquake (3) she had been turned into (4) as if (it were) broken
(1) left him folding the coat (2) left the old man there (3) left some of your questions unanswered
(1) In a few terrible seconds (2) lay in ruins (3) was cut off (4) A great number of
(5) Tens of thousands of (6) at an end (7) rescue the trapped (8) the injured (9) buried (10) doing our best
21世纪教育网 www.21cnjy.com 精品试卷·第 2 页 （共 2 页）